Saturday, July 10, 2010

Our first CSA pick up of the summer!

This was the first year that Billy and I signed up for a CSA (community-supported agriculture) share.  We received an invitation from Christy to go to a CSA meeting, where we got to meet tons of local farmers that were trying to sell shares.  We were immediately drawn to Tagge's Famous Fruit's stand because, honestly, it had the word FRUIT in it and they were giving away a jar of peach jam if you signed up for a share.  I LOVE fruit more than I like vegetables, so this seemed like the way to go.  We paid $250 for a share of produce for the summer (July - October). 

We were especially looking forward to all the fresh fruit and vegetables while we were in Copenhagen, since we subsisted on mostly pre-cooked meals.  We counted down the days until we got our first share; I picked it up on the corner of 5th East and South Temple (right by The Wild Grape (go there for brunch and order the beignets!  They come with melted chocolate and raspberry dipping sauce!))  We received a little thing of raspberries, some romaine lettuce, 5 zucchinis, a whole bunch of basil (which I turned into a deliciously yummy pesto for dinner tonight), and rainier and red cherries:

The Rainier cherries are the yellowish ones.

This bowl was half full last night; Billy and I kept on eating them and eating them until we got stomachaches.  I think Nacho really enjoyed them, though.  

By the way, while I'm on a delicious food kick, if you live in SLC, please go to Ekamai.  It's a Thai food place on 3rd South, right in front of Pioneer Park and next to another delicious place, Bruge's Waffles.  Anyhow, they have really great curry, but the killer is their dessert: sticky rice with mango.  The first time I put it into my mouth and the warm rice and coconut milk sweetness melted all over my tongue, I about passed out.  Add to the really fresh mango slices that are slightly cold and you're in dessert heaven (one of my favorite places to be).

No comments:

Post a Comment