Monday, July 5, 2010

Ancient History: Childhood

Billy wanted so badly to be a basketball player.  That was his big dream, to play for the NBA.  I told you all how Billy's dad bought him a basketball hoop and told him, like it was the most serious thing in the world, that Billy had to practice everyday or his dad would take away the hoop.  And Billy did.  Everyday.  But as Billy grew more and more and then stopped growing (sometime in junior high school), his dad informed him that his dreams of being a basketball player were pretty slim-to-none.  Even nowadays, when I ask Billy what would be his dream job if he could have it, he still says NBA basketball player.  :)

This is the guy, Thurl Bailey, that Bill's mom would say was Billy's dad when people asked who he was.  Look at how big his hands are!  And doesn't Billy look exactly like that little kid from Jerry Maguire? I love this picture...it cracks me up :)

Me in 1st grade.  Interestingly, as I grew older, my hair got darker.  Don't know if it was all those Miami summers out in the sun.  Also notice the missing front tooth :(  At this point in my life, I refused to wear pants because pants were for boys.  Imagine the embarrassment I endured when my mother, a 6-foot-tall-short-haired-pants-wearing mother, would come and pick me up from school :)  Mom, you were hot and I'm sorry that I was embarrassed of you. 


1 comment:

  1. Fun fact: when he was little, Bill also used to practice being Superman every day after he'd had his bath. He'd comb his hair down into a curl over his forehead, and wear the red undies that came with the set on the outside of his Superman jammies. One day, Pa said, Son, you're never going to grow up to be Superman, so you might as well wear your shorts where they belong. And he's worn his underwear under his pants ever since!

    ReplyDelete