Friday, July 9, 2010

Billy's first interview (by me) OR Questions every girl has about what guys think of pregnancy

Billy was sort of hesitant to do this interview.  I was going to allow him to type his answers, but he's been so busy and he wasn't really looking forward to it, so I got him while he was in bed and looking up his World Cup bracket info, so the answers are pretty much verbatim. 

These questions were all ones I had been interested in in general about what men thought when their girlfriends or wives went through pregnancy and birth. 

How did you feel when you first heard (saw) the news that we were pregnant?
I wasn't surprised and I was really excited.  I was sad that you didn't wait (to take the pregnancy test) for me.   (Background: I had been peeing a lot for the past week.  I knew that I was pregnant.  I wanted to make sure that I had missed my period before I took the test.  We decided to take the test on a Saturday.  The night before, Billy, his brother, and his mother all went to Wendover to go gambling.  On the ride home from Wendover, I could tell that Billy was not going to be coming home that night (i.e. he was more than a bit tipsy) and it upset me because I had told him that I was going to take the test first thing in the morning (morning urine has higher concentration of hCG, the hormone that you release when you're pregnant).  So, when I woke up and he wasn't there, I decided to take it anyway and I left the stick out for him to see in the bathroom when he got home.)

You used to go out.  A lot.  How has life changed for you since finding out?
First of all, I didn't go that much like you think I did.  And also, I haven't gone out for a while since before I knew that you were pregnant.  So, once I knew, um, that I lost my best drinking partner, I had even less reason to go out.  And, um, yeah, and we don't even drink...I mean, I don't even drink anymore.  Like we have a full liquor cabinet, full of unopened bottles. 

I used to be fun, sexy, and funny.  In what ways have I changed?
None.  With an exclamation point.  I actually think you're a lot nicer to me since you've been pregnant.  I mean, you were nice before, but...

How have I been nicer to you? 
You've um...I don't know, you're just really sweet.

What is the most interesting thing you have learned about pregnancy?
Oh my God.  To me the most interesting thing, I think me and most every other guy thinks of, uh, birth as like, um, water breaks, rush to the hospital, lays down in a bed, there's lots of screaming and pacing, and then it's done.  So to me, the concept of a birth plan was for sure the most interesting thing, because it was really interesting to learn interesting philosophies and realizing that women do have or should have a choice in how they give birth.  And really that there's different camps, you know...just the fact that your aunt says, Love you, epidural all the way, and you're like, yeah not doing that.  Or the Thai food guy who says, oh yeah, my wife had a planned C-section.  It's interesting that other people have different ways of doing it.

Tell me the truth.  How do you really feel about the changes my body has undergone? 
Look, I really don't mind.  I tell you that all the time.  I think your belly is cute on you and it's by far not big.  You barely gained any weight, you still look beautiful, I don't see what the big deal is.  Plus, even if ... people who do care, it's your kid in there.  How could you not love that?

How do you think you'll feel about my breasts when I start breastfeeding? 
I'm still gonna like them.  I probably won't have my mouth on them very much, but they're on loan to Nacho.  It's ok.

How do you think you'll feel if sex postpartum doesn't feel the same as it used to?
You really wanna ask me that? (yes!) I'm sure it will be fine.  (But what if it doesn't feel the same?) I'm sure it will be fine!

What part of labor/delivery are you most worried about? 
Seeing you in pain.  And, like, the lack of control because problems aren't that bad if you feel that you can do something about them, but just sort of being a cheerleader will be hard and I'm hoping that you don't say some things you don't mean to me, but I'll understand if you do.

What about being a dad are you looking forward to the most? 
I think the toddling, because I honestly am still a little bit scared of babies, but when they're toddlers and they start talking and you can teach them things and they want to play with you and do the same repetitive stuff over and over, I like that.  I'm also excited to take a ton of photos and be like the people I used to hate who took a ton of photos of their kids.  I want to be that person.

What about being a dad scares you the most? 
I don't know if it's really "scares," but I know that I'm going to have to tell our kid not to do things that I know I did and I'm going to feel really hypocritical.  If we have a daughter and she starts dating, that's gonna be scary.  And I think that probably the first time I'm alone with Nacho, it will be exciting, but after that it's going to be a little bit like, "I hope I don't eff this up."

What has been the weirdest change you've seen in me (physical or emotional)? 
I don't feel like you've really changed that much, to be honest, or if you have changed, it's been so slow that it couldn't be noticed.  It's actually weird to think back to what you used to look like; I'm more used to this.  When you weren't pregnant seems like a long time ago.  It's kind of weird to think of the first belly bump pictures we took; that seems weird to me now because it's kind of like an actual transition, but it still seems like a very long time ago.

What advice would you give to your male friends who just found out their girlfriends/wives were pregnant? 
Shoot, I don't know.  Be nice.  I would hope that they would be happy about it and we could give high fives or a hug or whatever guys do.  But if they were scared about it, I'd tell them that they have 9 months to come to terms and be mentally prepared about becoming a parent, so by the time the baby's born, you'll be ready.

We both never wanted to have kids when we first met.  What changed within you to want to have kids with me?
I think it was the combination of me and you being together because I for sure never wanted to have a kid with anyone else.  I mean, back then, having a kid was a consequence, like an AWFUL consequence.  With you, it was different.  It was like an exciting thing, I wanted to create something with you, you know?  And so, um, what changed within me was finding someone that I actually wanted to be with.  Maybe people who don't wanna have kids need to find the right person to be with.  But then again, I think it's good for people to not wanna have kids.  Because like, I'm excited that we're having a kid, doesn't mean that I think, "oh my God, everyone should go have kids."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment