Friday, July 2, 2010

Being pregnant in the summer...

sucks.  I'll admit...everybody was right (still doesn't mean they had to rub it in my face). 

Yesterday was 98 freaking degrees out!  Do you know that means for my sanity when I'm carrying 15 extra pounds and climbing into a locked car that's been sitting out in the sun all day?  I whine sooooooo much every single day. 

So, if you're pregnant in the summer and as miserable as I am, I recommend you do the following things:

WEAR A BRA.  You don't want to have to explain the line of sweat that forms right below your boobs that enhances your belly from the sweat that drips down from the underside of your breasts. 

SLEEP NAKED.  preferably with a fan blowing right at you. 

EAT COLD APPLESAUCE.  It really helps to cool you down. 

TAKE A SHOWER.  A cold one.  And stick your head under the water even though it will literally take your breath away and you'll pant from the shock. 

INVEST IN ONE OF THESE:

Kiddie pool bought at Smith's for 10 bucks.  It's a godsend.  Bill and I enjoyed the pool.  Pirate wasn't having it.  

WEAR LEGGINGS or BIKER SHORTS if you're wearing a skirt.  Trust me...the minute you start walking, the minute you start getting inner leg stickiness and that's when your inner thighs start rubbing together and that's when you start chafing.  

DON'T BOTHER DOING YOUR HAIR.  Especially if it includes heated materials.  Just the act of lifting your arms over your head is enough to make your forehead pour beads of sweat.  Just pull it back in a ponytail and be done with it.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER.  This goes without saying, but here, in the desert, you can dehydrate pretty quickly.  I know it will be difficult to even want to move from your couch to the kitchen, but make sure that you have some water near you at all times.  You'll feel a lot better.  

Happy dog days of summer...and for all those of you thinking about getting pregnant anytime soon, plan for an anything-but-the-summer birth if at all possible. 

1 comment:

  1. I was feeling the same way but my friend pointed out that it's better to be pregnant in the summer than to be nursing in it. I'll just try to remind myself of that everytime my upper lip starts forming beads of sweat!

    ReplyDelete