Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pick a nombre, hombre!

After reading that if Nacho were to be born right now, he'd probably survive, I've been thinking more and more about finalizing baby names.  We had our names set as late as a few weeks ago, but now we're thinking about changing them.  This is for 2 reasons:

  1. We're LOST junkies and came to the realization that we actually do really like the name Desmond for a boy
 I can totally see my genetic offspring looking like this as a grownup :)
  1. My brother John told me that he's "over it" (the name Isabela) because it's the number one name for little girls in the United States (thanks, Twilight).  The luster of the name has, unfortunately, diminshed.
Boy names are notoriously difficult to come up with and to agree on.   So, we need your help and suggestions.  We'd love to know what kinds of names you all have a particular fondness for.  We have pretty tough skins about this type of stuff, so if you don't like the names we choose, that's totally ok just as long as you're ok if we don't like the names you like :) 

For example, my mother isn't a big fan of the name "Desmond" because she says it sounds too "evil" ("Take out the S in Desmond and doesn't it sound evil?")  So, she offered other, predictably Catholic, choices such as Raphael, Gabriel, John Paul and one other one.  Asdrubal.  Yes, Asdrubal. 

I laughed so hard.  Apparently, when my mom was pregnant with me, she was teaching English at a small school in the town I was born.  In her class, there was the sweetest, cutest little kid.  His name was Asdrubal.  She said that had I been a boy, that's what my name would have been.  With a father with the name of Argemiro, I wouldn't have put it past them to do something that atrocious to me.

In case you were wondering, Asdrubal is derived from Hasdrubal, brother of Hannibal and a Carthaginian general.

Does not evoke feelings of motherly love.

So, what names do you like for boys and girls?  And if you're expecting or are thinking about getting pregnant soon and have a few favorite names for your kids, don't tell us!  We've had several friends whose friendships have been strained because one couple used the favorite name of another.  

Thanks for your help!

7 comments:

  1. I love coming up with names! (I'm English though so our tastes may be out of sync!)

    Boys: Dominic, James, Miles, Harry, Duncan, Luke/Lucas
    Girls: Hazel, Delia, Annie, Sadie, Ruth, Martha, Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill was supposed to be Nicholas Michael - sounds nice but Nicholas is also overused. Glad you got over Isabella! How about Toivo for a boy? A good Finnish name :). Or...hey I am not good at this at all...but I like Desmond ....or even Hurley - why not Sawyer? Kate is too used as well. Maybe Clare?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosie: Those names are adorable! My best friend, Annie, has a little girl named Iris and if she has another, wants to name her Olive. I wonder if the English tends towards more old-fashioned names. I love, love, love Miles for a boy and Penelope is adorable for a little girl.

    Donna: Billy told me that you had wanted to name Bailey Toivo but that Bruce put his foot down on that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think of miles as a measure of distance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd think of Demand Tutu if you went with that name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For the record if you take out the S you know someone with that last name. It is much more fun to see people when they try to say it like that. Pause before pronounce, think about it, glace up at me back at the name, bead of sweet drips, quietly say to oneself before saying it out loud and going for it. And you know at this point I am not helping it is my entertainment :)

    ReplyDelete