Monday, May 3, 2010

Extracurricular Activities

My only extracurricular activities when I was little was dance: ballet, tap for a year, jazz, flamenco for a year, modern, and hip hop.  I even took a few ballroom dance lessons in high school.  I  wasn't into any sports, probably because I had 5 brothers who always smelled like sweat and dirt and snot (sorry guys).  Billy was certain that he wanted to be a pro basketball player.  Every summer, he went to Junior Jazz basketball camps to improve his "game."  His dad bought him one of those mini hoops and looked him straight in the eye and told him: "Son, if we install this, you're going to have to practice every single day without fail."  Billy nodded seriously and he did; every day, rain or shine, little Billy Thomas was out shooting hoops.

There's this adorable picture (I'll have to take a picture of it to post) of little Billy at around 7 or 8 years of age with spiky blond hair and really really big glasses and behind him is standing the biggest black guy ever (Thurl Bailey, former Jazz player).  His mom had a wallet-sized version and she would pull it out to show her colleagues when they asked to see pictures of her kids.  And she would say when they would ask who the tall black guy was, "Oh, that's his dad."  haha!

Anyhow, I'd love for Little Nacho to be committed and involved in something like I was with Ballet and like Billy was with Basketball.  Hopefully, it's not football, baseball, or softball.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but...you know.  The kid could get really hurt with football and baseball is...well, kinda boring.  And if it's a girl and she plays softball...well, I guess I'd have to adjust.  Regardless of what Little Nacho does, I hope he is able to do it with passion and love...just like my little cousin Nathan!  He's almost 11 years old and has found his passion in music, especially drumming.  Watching how in his element he is in this video was amazing to me...literally brought tears to my eyes.



Hopefully, he'll be able to give little Nacho some lessons if he decides to go the drummer route.  Love you, Nathan! 

No comments:

Post a Comment