Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I need a staycation...

So, we've been away from home for 27 days now.  And I'm getting particularly antsy to go back.  I've never been the one to WANT to come home from a vacation.  Especially back to searing 90 degree heat in the desert.  But you know what?  For the first time in the history of ever, I can't wait to go home to Salt Lake City.  This "babymoon" is over.

To illustrate my discontent, I am up at 7 in the morning here in Copenhagen and the day is another dark and dreary one.  I came out into the living room at around 5:30am (by the way, it gets dark at about 11pm and light at around 4am) and tried to sleep on the couch, which is 10 times more comfortable than the bed I'm sleeping in.
Throw a thin sheet over this and maybe then you can imagine how uncomfortable our bed here is.

I'm so excited to go home to this:

Our bed in our old apartment.  Billy painted the design on the wall...it's sort of like a headboard because we're too cheap to get one.

Billy and I haven't been eating out much.  Copenhagen is dreadfully expensive.  Billy and I went to what was listed as a "budget" restaurant, and ended up paying 40 bucks for 2 appetizers and a glass of apple cider.  Not shitting you.  We paid, left, and ended up buying some falafel at a shop near our apartment.  
Typical Danish fare.

I'm so excited to come home to this:
Starts June 7th at Pioneer Park...can't wait!

I've never been more excited to eat vegetables in my life.  We've been subsisting on pre-made meals, pasta, cereal, and nutella.

And, I never thought I'd say it, but I'm excited to come back to downtown SLC.

But most importantly, I'm excited to be back in my own surroundings, surrounded by my own things, my own food, and familiar, friendly faces.  I feel like such a douche complaining about this trip, but aside from the fact that I've been able to spend lots of time with Billy, it's been such crap.  It has, thankfully, made me realize that being at home, the old blue house by the Capitol that Billy and I have lovingly turned into our little home, is one of the most important things to me.  Having moved around so much in my life and having spent no more than 3-4 years in any one place for the past 17 years has made it difficult for me to call anyplace "home."  But now that I have one, I feel that I never want to leave it.  

Finally, I'm super excited to go back to work (crazy, I know) AND I'm more than excited to see the other two loves of my life:


Plans for this summer are:
  1. Figure out the sleeping arrangement for the baby
  2. Buy all the baby stuff before it gets too hot
  3. Get a kiddie pool for me to lounge in
  4. Get my SAS base programmer certification (Nerd alert) before Nacho's born
  5. Learn how to make jams and how to can all the fruit and veggies I'll be getting from my CSA
  6. Hire a doula
  7. Go out to dinner with friends, because God knows it'll be a long time before I have the energy to do it again
  8. Get a pedicure before I give birth (I don't want the focus to be on my nasty, overgrown toenails while I give birth)
  9. Cut 10 inches off my hair
  10. Sleep whenever I want

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe the baby is coming so soon! I just started to think about it and it kinda shocked me! Wow.
    I can't wait for you to get home...maybe even more than you can't wait :) Let's talk SAS certification when you get home, please. I am interested maybe, especially since I couldn't afford to take that stats class :( and FARMER'S MARKET! I can hardly wait!
    Btw, you haven't missed any warm weather - it snowed the other day!

    ReplyDelete