Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The peener debate

Everyone, minus like 2 or 3 people, thinks that I'm going to have a boy.  I refer to Nacho as a "he" and Susanne from school keeps telling me it will be a boy because my stomach is more of a "basketball" than a "watermelon."  I bet you're wondering if there's any truth behind any of these old wives tales. Well, it's your lucky day because I just researched them for you (yes, I'm on vacation in Europe, but it's cold and damp and rainy here and this is a lot better than going out in winter gear).


Old Wive's Tale (OWT): If you're carrying high, it will be a girl.  If you're carrying low, it will be a boy.
Truth: Sex has nothing to do with it; it all has to do with muscle and uterine tone as well as the general position of the baby.

This lady is carrying SUPER low.  I've never seen anything like it.  It looks like an oversized breast!

Does it look like I'm carrying high or low?

OWT: A female fetus's heartbeat is faster than a male fetus's heartbeat.
Truth: Fetal heartbeats are pretty much the same until the baby is born; then, the girl's heartbeat will be considerably faster.
Fact: Nacho's heartbeat has hovered around 140-160 bpm.

OWT: If your husband puts on weight during the pregnancy, then it's a girl.  If he doesn't, it's a boy.  
Truth: No science supports this.
Fact: Scarlett's uncle Angel gained 60 lbs when her aunt was pregnant with their first boy.  Billy, scared that this would happen to him, has worked out pretty much daily and hasn't gained anything, the rat bastard.

(hispanic) OWT: If you have lots of heartburn, your baby will be born with lots of hair.
Truth: May be based on the fact that Hispanic babies are usually really hairy and most women get heartburn during pregnancy.
Fact: I've had hardly any heartburn during the pregnancy (thanks, chiropractor!)

OWT: If you have acne while pregnant, it's a girl.
Truth: Babies may be born with some acne due to the mother's hormones, but not the other way around.
Fact: I had a full face of zits for like 4 months and now they're gone.

According to this website:
http://www.amazingpregnancy.com/oldwivestales/
I'll be having a girl.

Ok, so the point of this was to let you know that I think we're having a boy and with that realization comes the decision about whether or not to circumcise little Nacho when he's born.  

A 1990 article in the New England Journal of Medicine claims that routine infant circumcision earns the health insurance system an estimated $140 to $160 million annually. The cutting procedure has become an automatic response after birth, the article said, and is routinely practiced in thousands of hospitals around the country.

4 comments:

  1. are you sure you haven't seen his little peen on the ultrasound? i can't believe how sure you are that he's a boy. it makes me giggle. when i was pregnant, before i knew i was having a girl, i had NO IDEA what i could be having. maybe with my next pregnancy, i will wait to find out and maybe i'll have some sort of intuition as to what it will be. it's pretty neat and i'm super excited to find out for sure what you're having.

    if i have a son next, he will not be circumcised. that's something that i believe is totally uncalled for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Scarlett. Jordan here. I like your blog by the way and found out about it on facebook when I found out you were engaged. Congrats by the way!! I am so happy for you guys and I really do hope you guys have a boy. Beckham would love to have some more friends.
    I just wanted to make one small comment about this post. I fully support your decision in not circumcising because I think you are right in that there isn't that significant of a reason to do it. That is, unless you don't want to take the time to clean it. There is something called phymosis and that is when the foreskin gets stuck to the glands of the penis and then you have to have a dr pull it back and that is probably as painful as the circumcision itself. This happens when parents or the boy forget to clean the babies glands every time they get a chance. Beckham had this and he is circumcised. It happened to him because he has a giant fat pad that pushes the skin around his glands and we frequently forgot to pull it back when changing his diaper. (Who let these people be parents, anyway?) So this is the reason people say it is cleaner because when the foreskin stays over the penis like that, it can stick and it becomes a wonderful home to staph aureus which means infection. And one final note, penile cancer is pretty much non-existent but when it does occur, it is only in un-circumcised males. So that is all. I am not trying to get you to change your mind but wanted you to know that stuff. Hope to see you guys sometime soon. Stay happy in healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jordan, I totally agree! If poor little Nacho's doctors think it's necessary, then I'll do it! Staph infections are pretty gnarly and could be worse for Nacho than keeping him intact. And you guys are GREAT parents and he looks like the happiest, healthiest kid on the planet :) I can't wait to see him again.

    ReplyDelete