Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Beer gut bellybuttons

According to Wikipedia, all mammals have a bellybutton.   That's right, rats, dogs, even dolphins have belly buttons!  I don't know why it's so surprising; I guess I consider belly buttons as a human oddity.  A lot of people think that belly buttons are the spot where the fetus was attached to the mother.  In all actuality, the belly button is the feeding tube where your umbilical cord was attached to the placenta.  It is basically a scar that occurs when the umbilical cord (stump) falls off and everyone scars differently.

I used to have a very deep innie.  Like maybe as deep as 1/3 of my pinky when I would poke it all the way through.  Outies, which are rarer than innies, are made when there is too much extra skin leftover from the umbilical cord.  For years, I thought that I had a "Colombian" belly button, the result of my mother's OB/GYN Colombian medical training and his clamping of my umbilical cord.  I always thought American belly buttons looked different from mine.

I'm 30 weeks today and feel confident that the entirety of my belly button will never pop out, although a good portion of it that's never seen the light of day has been exposed and I'll tell you what, my inner belly button skin is as soft as a baby's bottom!

I could totally be a stand in for this guy if they ever need it.


1 comment:

  1. You're going to die laughing (or possibly lose your lunch) when you see my belly button. It's on its way to becoming an outie. And it's huge. Gross.

    Mel

    ReplyDelete