Thursday, January 14, 2010

Reaction Posts: Sergio and Melanie

When my mother told my stepdad, Jorge, he started crying.  It was really sweet.  He was very excited and I guess felt that it was "my time" to have a baby.

Anyhow, in his exuberance, he let it slip to my brother and sister-in-law that I was pregnant.  He did it after we had made plans with them to visit and break the news but before we were able to do it.  So, my mother calls and tells me that he might have told them over the phone but that she wasn't sure.  I didn't want to ask Sergio outright because I wanted to surprise them together if they hadn't heard.

We arrive at their house and shoot the breeze for a few minutes.  Then, Billy and I pull out the tickets we had been giving to everyone.  They open the envelope, look at the tickets for a while, comment about how cool it is that knocked up is being turned into a musical, and then get it.  Melanie this whole time is smiling and comes over to give us a hug and say congratulations.  Sergio, however, seemed kind of shifty and nervous.  He kept saying, oh...that's cool...that's great.  But in a way that was not heavy with meaning.

Finally, after a while, I asked, "Serg, did Jorge tell you that I was pregnant?"  He looked away, thought about it for a moment, then said, "yeah." 

We laughed for a while and then Melanie brought up some crackers, mint tea, ginger candy, and peppermint scented oil to help me with my nausea.  It was so sweet.  She went out and got everything for me in anticipation of my coming over.  It was such a much-needed gift especially since I was flying out the next day to pittsburgh and would need them on the flight. 



On another note, just wanted to mention that our baby is going to have 6 really cool uncles and 3 really great aunts.  We're very excited and lucky to have such a great big family to help us with raising this kid :)

2 comments:

  1. Great looking couple. You are lucky to have such great looking people around your baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha!! I told Sergio there was no way we could conceal the fact that we already knew!! We tried but we're not very good liars. I was so excited to find out it was true. I couldn't believe it 100% until I heard it from you!

    ReplyDelete