Thursday, January 21, 2010

12 weeks...So long, first trimester!

So, I'm writing my progression through this pregnancy in a little book called "The baby belly book."  I have to write down what I'm feeling and going through that particular week.  At the end of each trimester, it's got a section for reflections.  I thought I'd share what some of my "reflections" for the first trimester were.

  • I feel this silly, uncontrollable urge to "show" already.  I have gained weight (1.5 lbs so far) on top of what I gained in cohabitating bliss while my ankle was healing and I wasn't running (which was approximately 6 lbs), but I don't count those towards my pregnancy weight gain.  For obvious reasons.  Anyhow, I'm bloated all the time and am now wearing some of the smaller sized maternity pants strictly because of my bloat.  I can't stand the thought that people who have no clue that I'm pregnant may think that I've "let myself go".  


  • I can burp better and more frequently now than my boyfriend.
  • At the end of 12 weeks, Nacho is approximately 2.91 inches and weighs ALMOST an ounce!  That's as much as 4 quarters stacked on top of each other!  Every time I put money into the meter, I think about that.  4 quarters! 
  • I sometimes pee a little whenever I sneeze.  Ok.  I sometimes pee a LOT whenever I sneeze.  I've been doing those awful Kegel exercises (by the way, does anybody feel a lot of anxiety when they do it?  I sometimes feel like I can't breathe...in a bad way) in the hopes that they will help my bladder control issues.
  • I've been lucky enough to not have had a lot of nausea or vomiting during the first trimester.
  • Glowing skin? No check.  Breakouts on my face and chest?  Check.  Lustrous, shiny hair?  No check.  Rapid leg hair growth? Check.  Lower back pain?  Check.  Increased appetite? (sigh) No check.  
  • I found out that I can't use the "I'm going to go through hours and hours of labor and push this baby out of my body" excuse to get what I want.  Billy doesn't buy it.
  • My cravings for sweets has indescribably lessened.  I don't get it.  I am fine just eating one little cup of yogurt or applesauce at the end of the day.  Bizarre.
  • It makes me sad that the first trimester is so short.  Since we found out I was pregnant when I was farther along, I've only had a few weeks really to get used to the idea that we're going to be a family.  Now, I have six months to go and it's just flying by.  
  • I'm scared that we're going to keep calling little Nacho "Little Nacho" when it's born, regardless of whether it's a boy or girl.  Hopefully, we'll be able to snap out of it and call it it's name so that the nickname doesn't stick throughout it's life ("Nacho?  Why do your parents call you Nacho?  That's weird.")

2 comments:

  1. You are so normal. I could not wait to wear maternity clothes but then towards the end I couldn't stand them. Peeing when sneezing is a pain - be careful when you are doing yoga and bouncing around too. I already love little Nacho/Nachorina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same fear because we always called Iris "Grape" while I was pregnant. Everyone called her Grape. She just was Grape. But, fear not, she was Iris the second she was born. I kind of forgot we even ever called her Grape until I read your post.

    ReplyDelete