Saturday, January 30, 2010

Godparents: Madrinas y Padrinos

I was baptized at 6 months old at the St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.  Baptism, regardless of how Catholic a family is, is an important part of the Hispanic culture.  It is a chance to celebrate the birth of a child and to formally welcome him/her to the family.  It is an important part of my family and my culture and upbringing, which is why I look forward to having a baptism for Little Nacho.

So, since I had 4 godparents (what Hispanic kid didn't), of course I've asked 4 people to be the godparents for Nacho.  In no special order they are:

Godmothers:
Jennifer Constance Miller: I mean, Jen WOULD be a cool godmother.  I bet she'd give little Nacho some pretty cool gifts on Christmas.  Right, Jen?  
Anne Sara D'Angelo Murray: We made a pact in college that we would be the godmothers to each other's firstborn.  Also, she's one of the very few practicing Catholics that I know.  Regardless, I still would've asked her, so now she's stuck with me for life!


Godfathers:
Angel Rafael Toca: He's my uncle and this is his first godson or goddaughter.  He'll be great at it.  Plus, when Little Nacho wants to taste the finer things in life, we could ship him off to his godfather Angel's house.
John Jairo Reeves: My little brother.  He really wanted this.  Now I'm going to expect to be his firstborn's godmother.  No questions.  (No pressure, Katie, honestly).

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment