Sunday, September 26, 2010

Desmond's first bottle

Since I'm up at the school a few times a week, I've had to take Desmond with me to each class and meeting.  It's worked so far since he generally sleeps in his sling.  I don't know how much longer that will last, though. 

I wanted to wait until after 6 weeks in order to establish breastfeeding.  I chose to wait until past his 7 weeks to do it since I didn't feel that breastfeeding was actually established.  I've been pumping a freezing up a mini-stash (I have about 6 oz frozen) for when I actually go to school for a meeting.  I will be pumping at school if necessary or once at home and then refrigerate the milk. 

I was really worried about Desmond not accepting a bottle.  Many babies love the breast so much, they simply won't eat from anything else.  Desmond, however, took to the bottle like a champ.  I didn't want to be the one to offer Desmond the bottle at first because he may not take it from me ("What's this?  I KNOW you have the real stuff!") and because I still want to breastfeed him. 

Anyhow, this is a big step for the both of us.  Terribly exciting...well, to me at least.

Grandma Donna giving Desmond his first bottle.

He drank 2 oz in about 6 minutes!  We used the Avent bottle with the 1M+ nipple, which has two small holes for a slower flow.  If the nipple has too many holes and the flow is too fast, the baby may get used to a fast flow and prefer to bottlefeed over breastfeed. 

1 comment:

  1. And I loved feeding him too! He is so sweet and just makes me happy to hold him. He's got great parents too!

    ReplyDelete