Wednesday, September 15, 2010

9 months of payback?

This past week has been really great.  We took Desmond to his first concert: Boyz II Men at the Utah State Fair.  We went to the Avenues Street Fair and also to the Greek Festival (where, unfortunately, they charged us 40 something dollars for 2 trays of Greek food).  Desmond behaved really well and I think enjoyed taking in the sights and sounds of all the festivities.  We also managed to squeeze in buying a car as well!  Here's the new addition to the family:

2007 VW Passat Wagon

We drove all the way down to Provo to buy it.  I've only been to Provo once before and I hope it's the last time I go.  Desmond cried pretty much all the way from SLC, about a 45 minute drive.  It was torture.  I guess he didn't believe in "Happy Valley" either.  

Anyhow, the state fair is something to behold.  What's not to love about the smell of funnel cakes and pig poop, the abundance of young men wearing wranglers and belt buckles, women with sparkly belts riding rodeo-style on horses, cheap chotchkes for sale, and more than a few slightly overweight women with too much makeup and in too little clothes walking around in booty shorts and heels.  *sigh*  There's nothing quite like it.

Anyhow, we went strictly to watch Boyz II Men...and eat a funnel cake.  It was awesome.  By the time we got there, there were no more seats left, but we hung out around the periphery and could hear them just fine.  Billy, Baby D and I were jamming out to "Motown Philly," the perennial end-of-school song "It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday," and  we belted out "I'll make love to you" to each other.  Seriously, picture how funny the scene is: two people in their late twenties at the Utah State Fair holding corn dogs and funnel cakes, the guy is sporting a pregnant belly (from wearing Desmond) and they're slow dancing all junior high style.  It's no wonder we were getting the weirdest looks from everyone.  There were several people that remarked on Billy wearing Desmond.  I'm sure they had never seen a man wear his infant in a wrap.  One woman even came up and asked if Desmond was real.  As if Billy would just be carrying around a baby doll.

At the Greek Festival, one woman came up to Billy while he was wearing Des and, without looking up at him, pulled the fabric from over Desmond's sleeping face and touched him!  Can you imagine?  When people reach out to touch the baby when I'm wearing him, I automatically stiffen and step back.  What the hell are they thinking?  I want to reach out and give these ladies (because it's always women who do it) a good ol' nipple twist to see how they like their important bits being touched.  The funny thing is that while I was pregnant, only a few people ever touched my belly.  I had braced myself for the rude onslaught of belly touching, but it never happened.  There were a few women at the Hispanic Market that touched my belly and one gypsy woman in Lithuania pressed a few roses on my belly and gave them to me (scared the crap out of me until I realized that she was blessing the baby or something).

Every time Billy wears Desmond, a woman will turn to me, wink, and say, "Serves them right!  You spent 9 months pregnant and now he gets to feel what it's like."  I laugh and go along, but the truth is that wearing Desmond provides Billy with much needed bonding time with his son.  As soon as he gets home from work, Billy will put on the wrap and hang out with Desmond.  It warms my heart that my amazing baby daddy would step out in public looking like a pregnant man and not give a damn.

For your viewing and listening pleasure, here's some old-school feel-good music to make your day that much better:





1 comment:

  1. I can't believe the nerve of some strangers. And I love, love that Billy wears Des around. I think it's so great.
    By the way, you didn't tell me the other night that you found a car! Yay, congrats :)

    ReplyDelete