Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Bathing a slippery, 9lb, crying infant...

should be required for every teenager as part of their sex ed class (under direct supervision, of course).  I think this would definitely make each and every one of them think twice about fooling around.  And for those of you thinking about becoming pregnant anytime soon, come on over to my house from around 7 to 10 at night and help me calm a screaming Desmond by giving him a warm bath.  Then make your decision to go ahead or wait a few years.

The first bath Desmond had was given by my mother, bless her.  She bathed him with ease, adroitly handling him, the water, the baby wash, and the rag.  I stood next to her, feeling rather helpless.  I tried to pay attention to what she was doing so that I could show Billy when we had to do it alone.  If it's any indication, Billy handles Desmond during bathtime; I'm in charge of pouring the water on Des. 

We use a little bath hammock that Christy gave us.  It works in the kitchen sink and in the bathroom.

My job: pouring water on Des.  My hand was totally on its way to make sure he didn't squirm away. 

I can't wait until he's old enough for showers.  Giving him baths is super stressful.  The only redeeming part of it all is holding his naked little helpless body in my arms.  Best. Thing. Ever.

3 comments:

  1. he looks like he is loving it...and I love his little "frog leg" position! When he gets a little bigger you can just give him a shower with you. You just need Bill to be home so you can han him over when you are done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gets easier - love the sink because it is kinder to your back.

    Wait until you try to hold a wet, soapy, squirmy baby in the shower trying not to drop him while he tries to latch on to your breast. There's the reason that dad is in charge of washing babies in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! That's exactly what happened with us too. My mom gave Iris her first bath, and I stood there terrified. It was one of the first moments I had where it really hit me: I am responsible for this tiny human life.

    ReplyDelete