Monday, April 19, 2010

Old breastfeeding study with the cutest video ever (but, funny enough, NSFW!!!)

In 1990, the Lancet (a very well-respected and highly-regarded medical journal...most recently known for its retraction of an article that linked vaccines to autism) published a study performed by a doctor and a midwife in England that ultimately showed that babies born from an unmedicated birth were better equipped to perform the "breast crawl," that is, sort of boogying-crawling up the mother's abdomen towards her breasts to breastfeed.

It is seriously the cutest thing ever.  These little babies are only a few hours old and they look like wrinkled old men (or similar to my favorite animal, the African naked mole rat)


Although I do strongly believe that breastfeeding is one of the best things you could do for your baby, I know that not everyone holds my belief and that not everyone is able to breastfeed (fyi, I'm actually kind of nervous about what my experience will be since I've had a breast reduction.  So, I may be one of the women in the "can't-breastfeed-but-tried" category.)  I also believe that an unmedicated, natural birth is important, but there is no way that I will deny myself the use of medication if I scream out for it.  However, it's videos like these that give me the drive I need to try to commit to an unmedicated birth, if at all possible.

The first and last baby experiences are the absolute cutest!

1 comment:

  1. Urban outfitters has similar style shoes, two for $30! I got white and red.

    http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?itemdescription=true&itemCount=80&startValue=1&selectedProductColor=&sortby=&id=17503699&parentid=W_SHOES_FLATS&sortProperties=+subCategoryPosition,+product.marketingPriority,-product.startDate&navCount=35&navAction=poppushpush&color=&pushId=W_SHOES_FLATS&popId=WOMENS_SHOES&prepushId=&selectedProductSize=

    ReplyDelete