Monday, April 19, 2010

Locks of Love

I think I've had short hair only twice in my life:

Once, for a while when I was very young, I rocked the bowl cut.

Then, the summer of my sophomore year, I chopped all of my hair off to right below my chin.  I think it could've been a better look for me had I not gained the freshman/sophomore 15.

Now, my hair is probably the longest it's ever been; it's way past the bra strap in my back.  I'm sick of it and want a change.  I tell my hairdresser what I'm thinking about and she cautions me that she's cut several pregnant women's hair after they give birth when they're frazzled, tired, and sick of unwrapping hair out of their little baby's chubby fingers.  So, they chop it off and instantly regret it.


 I just got it trimmed today, so it looks a bit shorter, but hopefully, by August, I'll be able to cut 10 inches off without having to rock a pixie cut.  I don't have the face to pull it off.

However, I grew up with a mother who has very little head hair (something that used to embarrass the hell out of me but something, when I look now, that makes me understand just how beautiful she is and how other people view her as this striking, tall, powerful woman).  So, to me, chopping it off doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Until I start thinking about my outward appearance and identity as a woman and realize that there is a reason why I spend hundreds of dollars a year on boar's head bristles brushes, hair rollers, aveda shampoo and conditioner, and silicone-based anti-frizz shine serum.  I have always been somewhat proud of my hair (it's virgin hair, having only ever been dyed once when I was visiting my friend Rachael in Canada and we decided to dye my hair a dark auburn...didn't look too bad): I love the color and I've got a lot of it.  Even though it's a relatively renewable resource, I wonder if I'll chop it off and look in the mirror and instantly start crying about the monumental mistake I've made.  But, I look at this picture and realize that I'm being silly and that it would be worth it to make someone like this little girl smile:




Therefore, I'm praying and hoping that I could grow out the 10 inches necessary to donate to Locks of Love.  Even though it'd be a sad day to part with that much hair, it'd make me very happy to know that somewhere out there, a little girl who had been teased or ostracized because she had no hair will now have a hair prosthetic piece to wear and allow a bit of "normalcy" back into her life.

 I really like this style, but there is no way in hell that I could ever get my hair this straight.

This is more of what my hair may look like if I chopped it off into a bob and actually styled it (which only happens maybe once every two months.  I have no idea how to blow dry and style my hair...)

Does anybody think this is a horrible, horrible idea?  I don't want regret my decision and end up ultimately realizing that it was just a mixture of the thought of a very long, hot, and pregnant summer and dealing with long hair along with some pregnancy hormones thrown in that made me lob off 10 inches.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha. what about the time we cut our bangs with nail clippers?

    i totally think you should do it! how inspiring! definitely worth the risk of hating it. plus, your hair grows fast so it'll grow out in no time!

    i love the choices you picked and think it will look fantastic on you! i think i'm going to steal the kate bosworth one!

    if by chance, you do regret it, just think about how much LESS hair your baby will be pulling and yanking on.

    ReplyDelete