Tuesday, April 13, 2010

First love...

Until just recently, I've never given a second thought to experiencing your son or daughter going through their first major heartbreak. 

In preschool, I was in love with this beautiful boy named Chris Kabeydi (I think that's how you spell it.  In my head, I remember saying it all at once: chriskabeydi.)  I didn't speak any English at the time and I never uttered a word to him.  I was so, so sad the day I "graduated" from preschool and left with my parents for a long and lonely summer without Chris Kabeydi.

I wonder how my mom dealt with me and my emotions that summer.  Did she think it was ridiculous?  a 4 year old desperately, quietly in love with another 4 year old?  I'm sure she got used to is as, every other month, it seemed like, I would come home declaring my love for a new boy.  I was a bit boy crazy when I was younger (and older) and my mother just took it all in stride.  I don't think she ever took any relationship I had ever been in seriously until this one, partly because I'm tethered to Bill for the rest of my life.

So, when I saw this video, I instantly smiled and teared up a little bit while I viewed the very first time a mother is confronted with her daughter's first broken heart.  Although I hope Little Nacho is spared the pain and despair that sometimes love brings, I am eager to be the quiet support that he/she will need and hope that I can provide some guidance and solace.

No comments:

Post a Comment