Thursday, March 18, 2010

ULTRASOUND!!!

Today we had our first ultrasound.  It was pretty neat.  I had to drink 32 ounces of water right before.  I hadn't eaten breakfast yet, so I felt kind of sick, the kind of sick you feel when you drink a bunch of water on an empty stomach.  Anyhow, we informed the lady doing the ultrasound that we didn't want to know the sex of the baby so she told us to look away when she was doing the measurements in the in-betweens area. 

Here's a secret: Billy's been so bummed that he hasn't been feeling the baby move that we've made it a point every night for Billy to press on my lower belly to get the baby to react.  The first night after I felt the baby poke me, we spent like 20 minutes just pushing on my lower belly until we realized that we may be poking too hard.  We freaked out for a few minutes wondering if we had hurt Nacho.  I was waiting eagerly for the ultrasound so that I could rest assured that we hadn't broken any of the baby's bones.

We came in and they squirted warm (yay!) jelly stuff on my stomach and started the ultrasound.  It was really difficult to get oriented.  It seemed that the US technician would not move the little wand that much and the image of the baby on the screen flipped over.  It was unreal!  But the lady told me that the baby was oriented with its head towards the right side of my body with its back facing my stomach and its legs pointing to the left side of my body. 

There are 5 videos.  I don't know which one shows the most (I'm equally partial to all of them) but they're all really short...about 45 seconds.

So, who do YOU think it takes after?  We're saying it has Billy's mom's feet, Billy's dad's nose, and my distended belly and a damn good spine.  In one of the videos, you can see the baby hiccuping.  You can also make out the umbilical cord in some of them as well.  By the way, if any of you have a keener eye than me (that includes you, Melanie :)), please don't let us know what the sex of the baby is if you know.  However, if you have no clue, we'd love to hear what sex you think it is :)










3 comments:

  1. This keen eye is keeping her mouth FIRMLY SHUT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool. Little nacho is definitely going to be a mover and a shaker. Thanks so much for sharing. These videos just made my day! Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already feel like a proud grandma. These pics made my day too.

    ReplyDelete