Saturday, March 13, 2010

In with the new (clothes) out with the old???

So, even though with our combined income we make enough to live comfortably, if it were just me, I'd probably qualify for Medicaid and WIC and food stamps.  Seriously.  Everyone knows that the words "poor" and "grad student" synonymous.  Just because Billy's my sugar daddy doesn't mean that I can go off shopping for designer maternity jeans at Pea in the Pod (which are ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN dollars, by the way).  Christy, one of my professors and mentors, sent me this link for an Old Navy maternity sale.  I think I mentioned it before, but Billy bought me like 11 items for a little over 100 bucks!  Take that, PEE in the pod! 

Anyhow, I've gotten used to the fact that clothes just aren't going to fit me anymore.  I can't deny it.  my hips are widening, my thighs are getting a bit thicker (This belly needs some stable support, y'all!), and my boobs are outgrowing every shirt and bra that I used to wear.  This means, also, that all of the cutesy little underpants I've bought the last few years don't fit.  I wear them and it's ridiculous!  They roll down and up on the sides so it looks like I'm wearing a g-string (when they're supposed to be boy shorts) and thongs or anything up my bum no longer feels as comfortable as they used to.  I refuse to throw all those lovely, fun underpants out but have had to "upgrade" to maternity grade underpants.  They're not that bad, honestly.

One of a pregnant girl's best friend is the stretchy pant (also known as leggings to some).  Many of you who know me know that I love leggings.  They're great for dancing, lounging, working out, and wearing with boots.  They are NOT very forgiving, but I think if you're pregnant, people won't be criticizing your "curves" as much because they'll feel bad for you.  So, I had this really great pair of leggings from Target that I bought like 3 or 4 years ago.  They're gray and go with everything and are so, so comfortable.  They used to fit perfectly: they had the elastic band waist that stayed up when you were running, dancing, or working out and didn't get all baggy in the butt when you'd been sitting all day like some other leggings do.  So, one day, it was kind of warm out, I decided to wear them with a long t-shirt (this was about 3 weeks ago).  I started putting them on and had a little trouble getting them over my hips and my lower belly bump.  But they still fit!  YES! 

Then, my exuberance deflated when I saw the exaggerated muffin top it created.  I put a shirt on to see if that would hide the muffin top, but it only accentuated it.  I sighed and started taking them off to put in the "HOPEFULLY these will fit me after I give birth" pile.  But then I stopped.  My level of indignation rose.  I wanted to wear these TODAY!  This was the day for the gray leggings and nothing else would do, dammit!  So, with my eyes ablaze and the blood rushing in my ears, I picked up the scissors and cut down the side through the elastic waistband.  aaaahhhh....my stomach let out just a bit.  I put the shirt on and, although the extra room I had given myself was delicious, it still looked like it was a bit too tight.  I thought, what the hell, and cut the other side. 

Soooo comfortable!  BTW, I'm at about 19.5 weeks as I'm writing this.

I just saved myself an extra 20 bucks!!!  I felt as if I cheated the system somehow!  Then the realization hit me that I had just butchered my most favorite pair of leggings!  They could never be thrown in the "HOPEFULLY these will fit me after I give birth" pile.  I was sad for a while, but then thought...what the hell.  After I give birth, I'll make Billy buy me another pair, once I reach my feel-good weight again.  

See?  The cuts are almost imperceptible!

Anybody else have any stories where they modified their clothing to fit their expanding waistline/buttline/boobline?

No comments:

Post a Comment