Monday, March 22, 2010

Baby registries: tacky or expected?

Billy's friends have wanted to throw a little get-together in celebration of Little Nacho's impending debut into the world (euphemism for "celebration for the fact that Billy knocked up Scarlett").  While they were trying to coordinate with us what days worked and didn't work, we got a text message from Lisa, one of the coordinators and a close friend of Bill's.

"Does Scarlett have a registry anywhere?"

Bill asked me and I looked at him and said, "of course not!"

The reason I didn't want to have a baby registry is because it just seemed really weird to me to come up with a list of things we want that we expect other people to buy.  It was our decision to get pregnant and people shouldn't have to pay for that decision.  I don't know...wedding registries are one thing (they're meant to help the poor newlyweds stock their new home) but baby registries just seemed odd to me.

I'm only 5 months along and I have been putting off researching baby stuff because 1) it freaks me out and I think it's way too soon, and 2) let's get honest: shopping for baby gear is incredibly boring.  There were so many times when I started looking for cribs that I just sidetracked and started checking on flights to here and there or started looking at prenatal yoga dvds.  However, after discussing this issue with my mother and Little Nacho's sage godmother Jen, I was convinced that getting a registry started was the best thing to do.  Their reasoning was that people are going to want to buy Little Nacho things and if they don't know what we need, they're going to buy us a shit ton of clothes.  And everybody will get "sick" of buying yellow and green clothes that the baby will grow out of in a month or two anyway.  Furthermore, baby shit is expensive, yo.  And I don't know who I was kidding, but I thought that Billy and I could COMFORTABLY afford everything we need.  Ha!  The baby industry is sickeningly expensive.

Just a few of the baby "must-haves."  No wonder the baby industry is a multi-million dollar industry.  Does a baby really need this much MATCHING stuff?  I'd rather spend the money on delicious food.

So, I spent an ungodly amount of hours last night and, equipped with my preggo magazines, baby product book (on loan from a dear friend of mine who just had her baby), and the internet, finally made a baby registry.  We used Wishpot, so that we weren't stuck with just one registry (like Babies R us, and other crazy places like that).

We really appreciate any gifts we receive (we've already been given a cute little hooded towel from Grandma Donna and a squishy little jungle animal book from godmother Jen...thanks!) from the bottom of our hearts.  However, we also LOVE hand-me-downs!  We are not going to spend a trillion bucks on cute baby outfits that won't fit in a few weeks and are super happy to accept used baby gear like playpens, toys, clothes, etc.  So, if you have something that you're looking to get rid of, don't Craigslist it!  Think of us first!

Ok, all that being said, I provide the link to the registry on this blog.  Please, please, please don't feel pressured to get us anything from here.  If you're feeling generous and would like to be rewarded for your generosity with a heartfelt "Thank You" and a funny-looking picture of our kid, send us something from the list or something that you picked out (we're excited to see personal choice picks!)

We love you all!

 Wishpot registry:

http://www.wishpot.com/list.aspx?list=237857&uid=22080&rc=surl&sp=Fl_O4k-b7I4xNDYxOTU0OnYyMCxsMjIwODAsMjM3ODU3O3JsMjIwODAsMjM3ODU3Ow**

1 comment:

  1. Grandma Donna! I LOVE the way that sounds - it is growing on me every day.

    ReplyDelete