Sunday, August 1, 2010

OK, I think I'm ready now

Today was a busy day for me and Billy.  Thanks to Karen Schliep and her husband, we were given a fish tank with fish for Higher Ground.  Billy installed that this morning.

We also bought a new couch from Sofa Mart (right across from Ikea).  We went to Ikea to look for a new couch (our old Ikea one is about as comfortable as sitting in a pew at church).  We left, mourning the lack of comfortable couches and, as we were leaving, spotted Sofa Mart (cheesy name, I know, but it was like a sign.  I mean...c'mon) right across the way from Ikea.  So, we went in and found a couch within our price range that we really liked.  It's microfiber and it has two reclining seats.  The microfiber is good for those who have kids and pets since you can clean it up pretty easily.

We got this in a camel color.

But the biggest thing today was that I actually got my hair cut!  I have had this appointment since April, when I last cut my hair, and this was going to be the day that I chopped 10 inches off to donate to Locks of Love.  (BTW, I'm NOT donating to Locks of Love because, when I looked into it a little bit deeper, I found out that Locks of Love does not automatically provide free wigs to the kids (who mostly have alopecia and not cancer, like everyone thinks); instead, they provide the wigs at no cost to a very few and on a sliding scale to others.)  Instead, I've decided to donate my hair to Pantene's Beautiful Hair wigs program, which provides FREE wigs to women who have cancer.  I have been so excited for today because 1) it's really too hot outside to have hair past your shoulders, 2) I haven't had short hair since 2002, and 3) I didn't want strands of my hair (which falls out a lot more after you give birth) choking Little Nacho or cutting off the circulation when it gets wrapped around the fat creases in his wrists.  I also didn't want to constantly pry my hair from his grubby hands.  

I needed to lob off at least 8 inches of hair, which meant that I was going to have to go bob-length short.  I used these pictures as inspiration:

I liked Audrey Tautou's hair.

Billy liked Alexa Chun's hair. 

I liked both styles since they showcased their waves, but I also thought that this could be more of a sexy, fun mom haircut and not a mom-jean-wearing, soccer mom haircut.  

Here is the progression (hair done by Kellie Montoya at Landis Salon.  My entire haircut, which is usually $25 at Landis (new stylist price) ended up being 17.50: $5 off coupon and 10% off because I donated my hair).  

I could feel her starting to snip at this point.

I could HEAR her starting to snip at this point.  I think I almost puked out of nervousness at this point.

10 inches of hair lobbed off!  I kinda want to keep the ponytail now as a memento.  Just so that I have something to show the colorist if I start growing the not-so-flattering kind of gray hair.  

My poor ponytail...but hopefully, it will help to make a beautiful wig for another woman.

The final product: a wavy bob.  I LOVE it.  I do kind of feel like a bobble head since my head feels like 10 times lighter than before.  

So, we have a comfy couch, a rocking chair, a swing, a car seat, a place to put nacho's cloths, a changing table, a bath hammock for Nacho, colostrum, onesies, hats, pants, receiving blankets, diapers, and a new haircut for me.  Plus, my mom is due to come in on Thursday.  Now I finally feel like I can go into labor.  Bring it, Nacho!

1 comment:

  1. You're hair looks so cute!! Can't wait for Nacho to come. We'll be in Salt Lake off and on in August so we'll definitely come by when that cute baby comes.

    ReplyDelete