Thursday, August 12, 2010

It's a BOY!

Desmond John Thomas was born at 3:19 am, August 5th, 2010 at the University of Utah Hospital.  He was delivered by Deb, a nurse midwife, and assisted by Courtney.  Billy and April were also present for the birth. 

He weighed 7lbs even and was 20 inches long.  He also, of course, scored a 9 on his 2nd APGAR (as former tutors ourselves, Billy and I are very proud that little Desmond did so well on his test.  HGL may branch out to APGAR test prep for parents-to-be :))

For your viewing pleasure, here are some pictures of our little man:

3 hours old.

Desmond meeting his dad for the first time.  Look at those lips!  Ladies, watch out!

Sucking his thumb (subtle breastfeeding cue!)  

Des looks like such an old man!  It's quite funny to breastfeed him and see this miniature old-man face looking up at me.

Close up of Des sucking his thumb.  I'm surprised that he didn't come out more wrinkled than he did.  How does skin not prune up in all of that amniotic fluid for so long.

Sleeping on his uncle Gabriel.  It's crazy how much a few ounces of weight gain can fill a baby out.  

Our first nap together the day we got home.  He was born with his hands up around his face and he does the same thing when he sleeps.

Honestly.  How cute?

His favorite nap-time hand position. 

Sometimes, during the 6 hours of the day that he's awake, he'll quietly look around and just take the sights and sounds in.  He also makes the craziest faces.  This is his pucker face.  Btw, head is nicely shaped for a baby born vaginally.  Just sayin'...because I'm enamored with the shape of babies' heads.  


Sorry for the barrage of baby photos.  I'm probably the only one that's really interested in all of them (well, me, the grandparents, and Billy), so you'll have to forgive posts like this from now on. 

4 comments:

  1. He is flawless. Thank you for so diligently keeping this blog. It has made me feel so close to you and your entire journey, and I have really enjoyed feeling a part of all of this. Not to mention how many times you made me laugh out loud or shake my head and say, "Scar-LETT!" Congratulations!

    Ps. The password idea is so cool! Maybe I'll try it next time. And maybe my word can be "padding compound."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I love his name. Enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is seriously so cute! Beckham made the same pucker face- I love it! And even though you try to not let your blog turn into a baby blog you can't help it. Your world revolves around the little munchkin. We want to come see you guys and meet baby Desmond. Jordan called Billy and left him a message and he never called us back. So, maybe Billy doesn't want us to see your cute new boy, but we really want to! I'm so happy he's here. This is such an exciting time. And you're totally making me want another baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The name of this blog is now very misleading.

    ReplyDelete