Monday, August 16, 2010

The cost of giving birth...

Let this one make you think twice before getting pregnant.  Or at least think about giving birth at a birthcenter or at home.  :)

Breakdown of costs for myself:

Ob/Gyn Unit: 1,023.00
NICU: 53.00
Labor and Delivery: 4,232.00!!!
Storeroom: 218.20
Anesthesiology: 136.20
Pulmonary Laboratory: 235.40
Pharmacy: 633.96
Clinical Labs: 36.80
OB Emergency Services: 437.00

TOTAL: 7,005.56

Breakdown of costs for Desmond:
Ob/Gyn Unit: 667.30
Storeroom: 8.00
Pharmacy: 115.00
Clinical Labs: 160.00

TOTAL: 950.30

GRAND TOTAL: 7,955.86 to push Desmond out of my body. 

In essence, for a 50 hour stay, it cost us approximately 159.12/hour at the University of Utah Hospital.  Upside: The U has excellent L&D service; the nurses and midwives took great care of me and Desmond.  They were extremely respectful and so nice.  I'm going to be sending them some sort of thank you gift for taking care of me (maybe an edible arrangement?  People love that kind of stuff...chocolate-covered strawberries...mmmm....).  Also, they gave me a delicious turkey sandwich anytime I wanted (the Turkey sandwich I got after delivering was the best thing I have ever tasted). 

There was this great health care aide named Sofiya from Bulgaria.  She had shocking dyed red hair and spoke with the best accent.  She always came in and asked if I needed anything.  When I shook my head no, she would offer cold packs for my in-betweens, food, snacks, drinks, etc.  I said yes to each thing she offered; I didn't know I wanted a cold pack or food until she offered it.  She worked the night shift and managed to get me everything I wanted/needed despite the hour.

Anyhow, the U was a great place to give birth.  But almost 8,000 bucks for something that happens 245 times a minute?  Craziness.  

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same about my health care aide, also Eastern European, from when I birthed at the U last year. True patient care and not just patient management.

    ReplyDelete