Saturday, August 21, 2010

An Open Letter to Desmond: Week 2

Dear Des:

You have already grown so much in the last 2 weeks.  You're getting fatter and fatter everyday, which makes me happy because it means that you're getting enough to eat.  Your abuelita calls you an angel, but I remind her that you're guilty of one of the 7 deadly sins: gluttony.  She doesn't have a comeback for that one.

You're becoming a pro at making spit bubbles now, especially when you wake up from a nap.  You make the most incredible faces, especially when you're angry: your forehead wrinkles up (you have 4 big forehead wrinkles), your mouth opens wide (wish you would do the same when we nurse together), and your face turns bright red.  You have the same storkbite on the back of your neck that I do.  Your abuelita says that when I was little and I'd get mad, my storkbite would turn bright red.   The hair that grows out of the storkbite is lighter than the rest of my hair...it's almost auburn red.  I wonder if your hair will grow the same way.

 Example of a storkbite.

Your hair is such a funny color: some days I think it's darker while other days it looks like it's going to turn out blonde like Billy's.  Your eye color is...well...it's hard to explain.  Sometimes it looks dark blue and other times it looks like it's turning brown.  I wonder what color it will be.  I think you'll end up with brown eyes but there is a 13.7% chance it will be blue and a 13.7% chance it will be green.

You have a funny little old man butt.  I'm sure it will start filling out soon.  Your grandma Donna wants to run a 5k with you when you're 10!  Hopefully that will bulk up your legs and bum a bit.  We just started using the cloth diapers this week and we're still trying to get the hang of it.  We use the little hose attachment on the toilet to rinse the poops off of the diapers.  At first, we tried wringing the diaper out after rinsing, but found out that it's obviously super gross to do and we just end up throwing the wet diaper in the pail (after spraying bac-out on the diaper).  We call your poops turd curds because they look like you just pooped out small cottage cheese curds.

Example of poops from exclusively breastfed babies: the poops are golden yellow.  Something interesting: if left too long, the color changes from golden yellow to green. 

Everybody says you look just like your dad.  I don't see it anymore: you look just like you, albeit with your dad's lips, of course.   And his hairline.



Ramblings overheard this week:

My mother, pretending to be Desmond while changing him (I guess I was making a yucky face):
"'Mommy, my poop is so great, you should use it as face cream.'"
 

My mother, to Desmond as she's changing him and talking about his in-betweens: "You don't have to worry about keeping any girlfriends interested."

No comments:

Post a Comment