Saturday, August 6, 2011

My first time traveling alone with an almost one-year-old baby

My last day in Salt Lake City was June 27.  Billy and friends helped to pack our entire little house into a 14-foot U-Haul truck.


Expert packing
We had a nice going-away potluck party at Higher Ground and all our dearest and nearest were kind enough to show up and say bye.

PH geeks

My friend and mentor, Christy, with her adorable son Quinn.


HGL folks
 Billy left and drove halfway across the country to St. Louis.  I stayed with his parents for a few days before I, too, made the trek.  Except I flew.  Alone.  With an 11-month-old.

Des spending time with Grandma Donna.

He was obsessed with those windchimes.  But cool thing about having an almost-toddler, you get killer guns by holding them up to see stuff all the time.  My left arm is noticeably stronger than my right.
At the airport, getting ready for our flight and blowing off some of that energy.

I spent the last few days before our flight adjusting Desmond's sleep schedule slightly so that when 3pm hit, he would be ready for a nap...right on time for take-off.  And yes, he's wearing a different outfit because, as we're standing in line to board, I hear this earth-rumbling noise and then the smell....God, the smell.  The nearest bathroom is at the other end of the terminal, so I say, screw it!  and changed him right at the gate.  I got several disapproving looks from my fellow passengers but better then than on the plane.  Jerks.
Since Desmond doesn't sleep as much as he used to, I have to have several backup entertainment options for him.  He constantly wants to touch the light and air valve thing above us and wants to play with the window shade so that he could slam it down, push it up, slam it down, push it up and annoy everyone within 5 rows of us.  So, I made sure to put away some choice toys of his while we were at Grandma's so that I could pull them out on the plane and it'd be like having new toys.  I bought one new special toy from Kid to Kid and put them all in a tupperware container.  I also made sure to include some healthier treats (fruit puree and those organic O's) and some not-so-healthy ones (Grandma Donna's chocolate chip cookies).  I also brought a juice that he could sip on. 

Do you want to know what kept him the most occupied, though?  The free headphones they gave us on the plane.  He mouthed those ear pieces for minutes at a time.  He also loved the plastic cups they gave me for water (I asked for 2: one for him and one for me).  At this point in Des's life, he's still controllable in that I could hold onto him and he doesn't spill into the seat next to me and get drool and cookie crumbs all over the old lady with the perfectly coiffed silver hair and the heavy perfume.  However, I still have 1 more year left of free flights for him, and although I'm going to take full advantage of that fact, I'm dreading having to fly alone with him again. 

Otherwise, the trip (with a layover in Denver of 4!!!! hours...found the kiddie play area, thank God!) was a success and we made it to St. Louis safe and sort of sound.

1 comment:

  1. I showed Erik that you have labeled him a "public health geek" in this post, and he balked, thinking that he really should be labeled a "physics geek", but I told him that he is now a public health geek by association.

    But ultimately a geek is a geek, no matter what the emphasis, although I am pretty sure a physics geek is about as geeky as it gets. Cheers to geeks! (Pretty sure I can say "geek" a few more times in this comment...)

    Miss you, geek.

    ReplyDelete