Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Happy Birthday, Christy P!

It was April of 2007 and I drove up to Research Park wearing a pant suit, carrying some fancy leather-bound organizer, and google map directions.  I was nervous because I was getting ready to meet with the director and a professor for an interview for acceptance into the public health program.  I was told who would be interviewing me and I remember trying desperately to figure out what the lady on the other end of the phone was saying.  "You'll be interviewing with George White and Christy Porucznik."  "Christy, what was her last name?" "Porucznik." I think I scribbled down P-E-R-U-S-N-I-C-K. 

I came into the interview room, nervous, sat down and began.  I don't think she asked any questions.  She just scribbled some notes now and again (looking back, they might have been part of her to-do list or new research ideas...:)) and didn't say a word.  I was terrified and of course, thought I blew the interview and had moved out to Utah for a stupid boy and no higher education prospects. 

And then I got in.  I had a few classes where Christy (Dr. Porucznik, that is) would come in and lecture about a topic, but didn't actually have her in a class until my second year of my masters for Infectious Disease Epidemiology (she is an epidemiologist by training and did her dissertation work in infectious disease epi).  As do most who take a class from her, I really enjoyed it (and I'm not just saying that because it's her birthday!)  

From University of Utah, Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, Division of Public Health

However, I really got to know Christy outside of the classroom, where she became my go-to person for all of my pregnancy, nursing, and mothering dilemmas.  I remember the first time I told her that I was pregnant.  She looked at me as many did, unsure of how to assess the situation.  Should she say congrats?  Should she just say wow?  Later, she wrote me a short and sweet email telling me how happy she was for me. 

From that point on, she became a repository of information.  She provided me with so much: advice, clothes, books, diapers, etc.  She taught me how to wear Desmond.  She taught me the basics of cloth diapering.  She coached me through breastfeeding Desmond.  I adopted several of her beliefs and parenting attitudes.  She let me come over and eat her delicious food and play with her beautiful kids.  I have learned so much, not only about public health, but also about how to be a better mother.  I truly believe that had I not had her support throughout my pregnancy and throughout the last year, I would have been a totally different mother.

Dinner at the Porucznik's.

So, Happy Birthday to a woman that I'm proud to call a teacher, mentor, and friend. 

2 comments:

  1. Sweetest birthday card ever - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww this is so sweet! What a great tribute to a wonderful woman that I am happy to know as well :)

    ReplyDelete