Thursday, August 18, 2011

Birthday weekend: The big 3-0!

I remember 8 years ago, talking to my BFF Annie on the phone on my birthday and telling her that "there it was...22...looming before me like two tombstones."  22 meant being a real adult...having to go out into the real world and out of the enveloping cocoon of liberal arts undergraduate dorm life.  Back then, I had my life planned out: graduate at 22, finish grad school at 26, get married, and have kids by 28. 

This year, I turned 30 and, although I have a few gray hairs, a saggier gut, and a little human, I still feel like I'm 22, although I wish I had the energy of my 22-year-old self.  So for my birthday this year, I had dropped major hints to Billy that I wanted an iPad.  He kept telling me that we couldn't afford it, I'd pout, drop the subject, and then ask drop the hint again 1 week later. 

Instead of an iPad, however, Billy got me the craziest best gift ever: he flew out 3 of my best girlfriends (girls I've known since before I was 22) to Salt Lake City from Ohio and West Virginia.  They had all planned this elaborate surprise where one girl would show up, say surprise! and I'd be surprised and then the next would do the same.  3 Huge surprises in the span of a few hours: you betcha I almost peed myself from excitement (I say ALMOST because my bladder control has seriously improved over the past year.  Although that is something that is definitely not the same as it was 8 years ago).  They spent a few days in SLC and then left.  It was the most perfect birthday gift ever.  Although an iPad wouldn't have left so soon.  Just sayin'...

Jen, Kaip, and Annie.  At Ruth's Diner.

On the grounds of the Mormon Temple.  Kaip: "This looks like Disney World in here."

Desmond and Auntie Kaip. 

1 comment:

  1. my most fave post yet! :) i heart you all so much!!!
    best surprise ever!

    ReplyDelete