Monday, November 29, 2010

Holiday do-si-do

Now that we're a mini-Thomas Family, we can't go apart and spend Christmases with our respective families: me with my family in Florida or Colombia and he with his family in SLC. Last year, we found out I was pregnant 1 or 2 days after Thanksgiving. We had spent Thanksgiving with his family here in Salt Lake and I was slated to go to Pennsylvania to spend Christmas with my mom's side of the family. However, the thought of telling all these people:

My aunt Gora, my mother, my grandmother, me, and my aunt Christine. The drink in my hand is sparkling cider, people.

all by myself made me really nervous. My family is a very traditional Hispanic family (the blonde in the picture is an aunt by marriage). They have Catholic roots and so all of their morals stem from Catholicism. I was afraid of what they were going to think and all of the talking that would occur behind closed doors. So, it goes without saying, I really wanted Billy to be there to support me when I told everyone.

It was a hard decision for Billy to make. He had never spent Christmas apart from his family and his brother was coming out from Illinois and his sister was coming out from Pennsylvania. However, he understood that I needed him there to tell my family everything. So we booked the tickets. Long story short, my family loved him:

Billy and my mother.

In exchange for him spending Christmas with my family last year, I promised him that I would spend the next Christmas with his family. So, we have decided to alternate holidays between families. Of course it's not set in stone (traveling for Thanksgiving and Christmas is awfully expensive), we are going to try to spend next year's Christmas with my family. When we're a real Thomas Family, maybe we'll be able to have people come to OUR house for the holidays.

Desmond's Thanksgiving Day outfit. I love the whole geek chic look for boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment