Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween

As we were going to our friend Ryan Bird's house tonight for the 2nd Annual Grown-up's Halloween Party, Billy and I commented on how great it was to get out of the house and do something besides sit on our comfy couch at home staring at our computer screens the entire night.  It's very important to us to keep ourselves interested in each other and sometimes, it seems that our days are so taxing that all we could do is veg out on the couch and spend the whole night engrossed in Google Reader (me) and It's Always Sunny and The Daily Show (him).  But when we do go out, even if it's just for a walk around downtown Salt Lake after dinner at Ekamai, we always remark about how we should do this more often.

Anyhow, we were very excited to showcase our costumes.  Last year, Billy and I went as Billy and Gloria from White Men Can't Jump.  Remember that movie from the 90s?  I wore a tacky black and turquoise ruffled skirt and a matching shirt with some leggings and sneakers.  Billy wore a random white shirt, some washed out surfer shorts, those reebok pumps shoes where you pumped the little basketball thing on the tongue of the sneaker, and a backwards hat.  Unfortunately, we don't have pictures from that night, but this is what we were supposed to look like:


This year, we were more focused on what Desmond would wear than on what we would wear, so when it was time to pick out something to wear this weekend, we had to look to our closets for some inspiration.  Desmond already had 3 ready-to-go Halloween outfits: pumpkin (his grandma Donna gave him that), Bear (his uncle Jack and aunt Lauren gave him that), and sushi (we bought him that).

Desmond's in his pumpkin costume.  Picture was taken in Rockford, IL and includes all the members of the Thomas family, plus me.  

 This is Des's bear costume.  We were on our way to the Rally to Restore Sanity here in SLC.

Let me take a sec to explain the outfit: The onesie contains a felt cutout of a piece of shrimp tail.  The band around his waist is supposed to be seaweed.  On his head are the wasabi and ginger on the plastic green leaf thing.  He's also wearing some kick-ass legwarmers (not just for girls anymore) and grey socks.  Adorable, eh?

As far as the grownups are concerned, I knew that what I had most in my closet was black.  Lots and lots of black.  As I tried to think of people to be, I remembered how much I thought my hair looked like Trinity's from The Matrix when Kelli (my hairdresser) wet it down and combed it straight in order to cut it.  


I mentioned the idea to Billy and we decided to go with it.  Billy bought some black pants from Smith's (pants that still had the magnetic anti-stealing device attached to it), black hairspray dye stuff, and some guns that we had spraypainted black.  I just threw on a black tank top, black jeggings, and black boots. 

Billy with black spraypainted hair and black-filled-in eyebrows.  Billy's eyebrows are so light that it looks like he doesn't have any.  On the backs of our necks, we drew the hole where they could get plugged into the Matrix.  The whole costume looks so much better with our sunglasses on, but walking around a foreign house at night with glasses on carrying a big bowl full of sangria and a baby is not the wisest thing to do.

This cute little boy is Taven.  He is our friends Jack and Heather's kid.  He really didn't want to take the picture with me.  By the way, he was supposed to be a candlestick.  Cute, eh?

The Matrix: Postpartum.  OK, so I think we make a pretty good Neo and Trinity if you could overlook the fact that Billy looks more like Matt Damon than Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Ann Moss (Trinity) has a more kick-ass body than I do.

1 comment: