Thursday, December 29, 2011

Little Miss Homemaker

That's not me.  But I did pretend to be it for Thanksgiving!  This was the first time Bill and I hosted anything holidayish at our house.  We were so excited to have the responsibility of housing, feeding, and entertaining everyone.  We cleaned our house up all spic and span and bought a crapload of comestibles.  I had a recipe schedule for Thanksgiving and a list of things to do and places to see.

It was the first time in about 5 months that my family had seen Desmond, so everyone was pretty excited to see him.  We drilled Desmond with pictures of their faces and their names so that he could recognize them when he saw them (or else!)  My mom was worried that "her" baby wouldn't recognize her and she'd be heartbroken.  But, as we all know, kiddos love their grandmas (because grandmas = everything mama doesn't let you do) and by the second day, Desmond would not let my mother out of his sight.  He also warmed up (by the 5th day) to my step-dad because my step-dad would teach Desmond about the "fuego," the fireplace, in our house.  Unfortunately for his uncles John and Dan, Des did not let them carry him around and barely played with them.

On the daily walk with Des.

With a hat his grandma Donna made for him.
Anyhow, it turned out to be a really relaxing, low-key get-together (which is very unlike my family).  However, I've come to the conclusion that I am too young to hold and be in charge of any family-get-togethers, especially large, overly ambitious holiday dinners.  I'm happy to drag my, Billy, and Desmond's ass over the entire country to visit and be the recipients of such dinners.  Maybe I'll try again when Desmond's 6 or so.  That gives me enough time to hone my homemaking skills.  I hope.

The newly-engaged couple: my brother and his fiancée, Katie.

The pretty side of St. Louis.  Me, D, Katie, John, and my youngest brother, Gabriel.


The only pics we have of Thanksgiving dinner were taken by my well-meaning, but technically illiterate, step-dad.



Yay, family!

1 comment:

  1. Fun!!! Looks like you guys make great hosts! I hope we can come out and visit sometime. That would be a blast!

    ReplyDelete