Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Desmond's first heartbreak

At the ripe old age of 15.5 months, Desmond fell in love for the first time.  Who was the lovely lady that captured his heart?  None other than my beautiful goddaughter, Iris May, who is 4 years older than Desmond.  (I'm not sure if his penchant for older women will continue throughout his life, but I'm guessing that the ladies in his age group may still look sort of androgynous to him (most of the toddler girls his age have hair as long as his)). 

Iris May donning her ballerina outfit (skirt provided by her awesome godmother (she calls me Cuma Scarlett (Cuma is Godmother in Italian))

He fell in love with Iris.  I mean, totally in love.  Infatuated.  He would watch everything she does.  Follow her with his eyes where ever she went.  And she was so sweet to him.  At first, she kept her distance from him, just watching him as he rooted through her toy box, making sure that he didn't play with her prize toys.  But then she warmed up to him and guided him through her game of pretend.  I can't even begin to describe the level of infatuation Desmond had for Iris.  I won't even try...I will just let the pictures speak for themselves.

Making sure that Iris is nearby.
Look at how he adores her!  That's my hand sort of forcing the hug.
We had a lovely time hanging out with Annie and her family.  Unfortunately, all awesome things must come to an end, and we had to bid adieu to Youngstown and head home.  When it was time to say goodbye to everyone, Desmond gave everyone a hug and his signature kiss: open mouth with a hint of tongue.  When it was Iris's turn to receive Desmond's dubious gift, she recoiled in horror as she felt him slobber all over her cheek.  She turned her back to him and refused to give him a goodbye.  I don't blame her.  If some guy was eyeing me somewhere and, when he left the party, gave me a slobbery kiss on the cheek, I would book it out of there, too.  But it did cause my son his first heartbreak... :)

But he still has love in his heart for Iris.  And hopefully, that love will continue and grow until finally, they end up married and I could finally be a true part of the D'Angelo/Murray family. 

Annie's parents, Mom and Pop D'Angelo.  If (or I should say when) my parents ever die, I nominate the D'Angelos to adopt me, Billy, and Desmond.

No comments:

Post a Comment