Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Worst countries for women


In so many places, in so many countries, women are treated as second-class citizens. They are denied basic human rights and can be physically and psychologically suppressed by their government, community, and family members. I am so grateful that I live in a country where things for women are pretty decent: I get to pursue a degree that before was barred to so many women, I have the ability to wear and look however I want, and I don't have to ask Billy or my father or my brother for permission to do anything outside of my own home. I'm very lucky that I grew up in a part of the world and in a family that values education and freedom of thought and action. Many women, simply through their place of birth, are born into a life of forced submission and reprehensible lack of basic human rights.

As we approach the season of giving thanks, of being grateful for all that we have, think about the plight of women just like you (or your wife, daughter, mother, sister) all around the world who struggle day in and day out for a better life for themselves and their families. If you have a few minutes, take a look at the pictures in the slide show at the link below. It contains pictures of women living in the world's most dangerous countries for women: Afghanistan, the DRC, Pakistan, India, and Somalia, and keep them in your thoughts as you go through each day-to-day enjoying some of the basic freedoms that these women lack.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Did you share my dismay that the image of the mother breastfeeding her malnourished children was flagged as possibly objectionable content?

    ReplyDelete