Friday, October 21, 2011

Nudity and the family

I have a question for everyone.  It stems from a discussion that I had with a certain someone who mentioned to me that her husband will cover up his bits anytime he's naked in front of his baby, a little boy.  I laughed and remembered Billy telling me the story about how a few times, while he was showering with Desmond in the morning, Desmond has pointed to Billy's penis and reached out to touch it.  It made Billy uncomfortable (and rightly so), and that started our discussion about how we wanted to approach nudity in our family.

I'm pretty comfy in my own skin at home.  I grew up used to seeing my mom naked...I would sit at the edge of the jacuzzi tub my mother had in her master bathroom (what 80s house didn't?) and watch her put her bra and panties on, roll on her deodorant, spray herself with perfume, and put makeup on.  It was all a very glamorous procedure.  I remember one time asking my mom while she was nursing John, my little brother, if milk came out of both breasts, and she told me, yes, that chocolate came out of one breast and regular out of the other.  To this day, whenever I go visit her or she comes and visits me, we have no qualms about getting changed in front of each other.  I also have no qualms about getting changed in front of my friends.  I grew up in the ballet world where the changing rooms are often segregated by sex (but really, there would be danseurs (male dancers) walking around not caring a flip if they saw a boob or two (but I would always try not to stare at the little jock strap things that showed their bums)) and quick changes happen in and out of tutus in the wings.  I learned to value the beauty of the male and female form and am not unnecessarily distressed when I see nudity in public (or on TV (hellooo True Blood)).  And I definitely am comfortable walking around naked in front of Desmond.

But, to tell you the truth, I see images like this and I get uncomfortable:

SOURCE
Why?  I'm not sure.  Maybe it's the age of the children and the fact that the little boy and girl are old enough to understand that mommy and daddy are naked.  I think about the fact that I, to my knowledge, never saw my dad naked (or at least I don't remember it) and I'm definitely OK with it.  I don't think that I would like to remember what my dad looks like naked.  And I know that Billy doesn't remember seeing his dad in the nudey, but his mom said that he did.  Would I want Desmond seeing me naked as he gets older?  I'm not sure.  Part of me is like, "what's the big effing deal?"  but then the other part of me thinks about that one episode on CSI where this kid is in the psychiatric unit because he had a weird relationship with his mom.  I'm not sure what the effect is on growing children and I sure as hell don't want Desmond to have any weird things going on about nudity or sexuality or anything.

I'm conflicted because I believe that I have grown up in a culture/society that puts a LOT of emphasis on the naked form in a sexual context.  For example, I believe that women's breasts are meant to breastfeed.  Period.  A woman's vagina is another story.  Therefore, I am much more willing to accept images of women's breasts or seeing them in person than a woman's in-betweens.  I would feel completely comfortable if Desmond, at any age, saw my breasts while I was breastfeeding my other children, but wouldn't feel comfortable with him seeing me completely naked once he has the ability to remember seeing me naked.  But why?  There are so many cultures where nudity (especially showing the breasts) is commonplace and normal.  In other cultures, showing so much as a sliver of calf is considered to be taboo.  Is there a psychological change that children go through where modesty becomes an important part of their identity and nudity, on behalf of their mom and dad, makes them uncomfortable or causes them to be confused about nudity in sexual terms?  Are there any studies about this out there that anybody knows of?  Is it more appropriate that children see only the parent that's the same sex of them naked and then only up until the age where they can start recalling things?  Should dads be naked around their sons for less time than mothers around their daughters?

What do you guys do in your house?  Was there an age for your child that you stopped being naked around them?  How did your experiences growing up with nudity in your family affect your decision-making now?

1 comment:

  1. i've been thinking about the same thing. alex has seen patrick naked and at this point, it's no big deal. she says 'daddy naked' and that's that. there definitely will come a time (soon, i'm sure) that patrick will start to feel weird being naked around her, but i think we're just going to go with it.

    ReplyDelete