Thursday, September 8, 2011

What a 1-year old likes to do: LEGO and blocks

The first set of blocks Desmond ever got was from his abuelita.  They were really nice wooden blocks, really big (actually too big for Des's small hands at the time) and came in different colors.  At 7 months, he had absolutely no interest in them except mouthing on them for a few minutes and then setting them down. 

His new favorite game now is handing me the blocks and watching me stack them one on top of the other and then shifting his weight back and forth in anticipation.  Once I give the go ahead, he knocks them down and then immediately looks up and starts clapping.   "Bravo," Billy and I say, and clap along with him.  So, don't give away those toys that your baby seems to have no interest in.  They may regain their interest once they're a little bit older (for example, Desmond just rediscovered his Haba teething ring and walks around with it a lot).

I took him to the science museum in town and they had a kids' section, complete with a Lego piece on the wall.  Of course, Desmond waddles on over and, since he's still so short (I'm crossing my fingers the fruit of my and Billy's loins inherited my mother's tall genes), climbs onto the chair and starts immediately problem solving.  The cool thing about Legos is that it takes the kids a while to figure out how to make it "stick" and then it's not as easy as swiping your hand and arm through mid air to knock them down.  If I had more financial means, I'd buy one of those wall units and keep it in my office so that I could possibly do some work while he plays.  Or better yet, in the kitchen, so that he's not underneath my feet while I'm cooking over open flames. 


If this were a competition, he'd win "Most Intense."

Looking at the cars on the freeway.
Does anybody have any good toy suggestions for 13-month-olds?  What comes next?

No comments:

Post a Comment