Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What a 1-year-old likes to do: Hats and Sunglasses

Desmond is kind of a weird child.  He doesn't like for certain body parts to be constrained.  For example, he will let me force a hug on him (for a few seconds or so) and he doesn't mind being in a sling or carrier.  But the second the shirt goes over his head, his hands get caught in the sleeves, or you put a blanket on his legs, he'll start freaking out.  Seriously.  He used to be that way, too, with hats and sunglasses.  I'd try to put them on him, he'd scream and pull them off.  I'd try to wear them around the house and out and about, but it didn't seem to persuade him one way or the other.  Finally, I just gave up and hoped that the light brown/blonde/red hair he has provided enough protection to his scalp from the UV rays.

Now, after a 3 or so month hiatus, he has begun to show an interest in hats and glasses.  Finally.  Just in time for winter.  ha.  He loves putting them on, walking around for a few minutes, then taking them off.  He also likes putting them on me or Billy.  Sometimes, we'll put a hat on our knee or the glasses on our hands and show him and he'd get that it was something funny and start giggling.

Glasses that were a gift from his Aunt Kaip.  We were in the process of showing him how to put them on, but he was only interested in taking them off.
 
Taking the hat off of Billy.

Billy giving him just the right amount of tilt to give him an air of "soul cool."

Giving a new hat to Billy.

Both wearing hats.

How freaking cute is this picture?  I just wish my mirror wasn't so dusty and fingerprinty.

Inside joke, I guess.

This makes me secretly hope that he will enjoy playing dress up with me.  I don't care if it's girl clothes or boy clothes that he chooses...I'm just excited about putting on different crazy outfits and parading around the house with him.  Back when we were both young(er) and madly in love, I would put Billy's pants, jacket, and fedora hat on and pretend I was Michael Jackson.  

I'm already thinking of the best (home-done) Halloween costumes for all three of us.  Suzi, if you ever read this, I'm getting my inspiration from you!

3 comments:

  1. Suzi most definitely has the best costume ideas! haha
    I freaking LOVE that picture of Des and Billy (the one you commented about how cute it was). That one needs to be framed!
    Can't wait to see you soon! I miss you guys so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing Des smile and laugh makes him look like you, Scarlett. He looks so happy and he has your smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can photoshop the dust and finger prints out it if you want to frame it. it's adorable. email it to me.

    ReplyDelete