Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Diaper wedgie

As you may know, we're a cloth diapering family and proud of it.  We go through maybe a pack or 2 (depending on how lazy we are with the washing or how much traveling we're doing) of disposable diapers a month.  We do it primarily for the cost savings and second for the environment.  Although I heard from a friend recently (hi Layah!) that the costs to the environment from using plastic diapers versus the cost from washing cloth is equal in different ways.  I'm not sure about this, but I don't have anything to back up the assertion either way.

Anyhow,our washer broke the other day.  Here's the backstory: We moved into the house in Maplewood, which is really quite lovely, but really needs an update.  We were just happy that the house had a washer/dryer.  Our first apartment we lived in, there was a W/D in the fourth floor of our apartment building.  We lived there for most of one summer and it was TREACHEROUS going up those four flights of stairs carrying a load of dirty, summer-boy-sweat laundry.  gross.  and then sometimes, I'd forget the $1.50 or whatever it was to wash it and have to go down and back up again.  So, needless to say, we were super excited to have found a house with an en suite W/D, if you will.

I wish I would've taken a picture of the washer and dryer.  My oven is about as old as the W/D was: it's that creamish color that signals it's straight from the late 70s and the digital clock on there is borderline analog. Wow...tangent.  So, the first time we put clothes in the washer and it went into the spin cycle, it made the most god-awful noise, like it literally was going to blow apart, and shook so hard, the addition of the house (where it's located) shook, too.  One day, our really nice landlord Christian was over here fixing a door and I just "happened" to be doing a load of diapers.  I was on the second rinse cycle and it started moaning and groaning and then shaking (hahaha!) and Christian and I stare at each other until it's done.  "Does that happen all the time?"  I nodded, and started laughing.  He fixed something on the bottom and said, "well, I don't know.  If it gets worse, let me know."  It didn't bother me much and the machine worked, so we let it be.

Until one day, in the middle of the dreaded rinse cycle, it just died.  There were still sheets in there and water up to the middle of the basket.  So, we had to wait a few days until Christian brought over our new one and hope that mold didn't grow in a foot of watery clothes.

So, for a few days (or week or so) we had to use disposables solely for all of the diapering, which led me to take this beautiful picture:


Look at that wedgie!  I would've never, ever thought that you could get a wedgie with a diaper.  This never happens with his cloth diapers, although they do naturally form a crease, a crack if you will, right where his little buttcrack lies underneath the diapers. 

Oh, and to those who are scared about rinsing off cloth diapers?  Desmond poops once, maybe twice a day, at most.  Most of the time, I only deal with pee diapers (just spray a little bac-out on them, and throw them in the bin) and out of the two poo diapers, I usually leave one for Billy to clean off when he gets home (hey, fair's fair.)  However, I will not lie and say "Oh, it's my kid's POOPIES and it doesn't bother me."  Yeah.  Right.  Shit's shit, whichever way you paint it, although I prefer to clean off shit that came from breastmilk than shit peppered with undigested dry fruit.  Oh, the joys of motherhood.

2 comments:

  1. I love cloth diapering, it's the best. Although my 'non cloth diapering friends' do not understand why I do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We get that wedgie too.. we rarely use disposables, but it seems no matter what we try we get the wedgie, and a leak. What a pain! I am a cloth diaperer forever!

    ReplyDelete