Saturday, April 9, 2011

Abuelita's visit to SLC - only her second time seeing Des!

My mother came out to Salt Lake to visit me and help me take care of Desmond day in and day out while I took the qualifying exam. She was amazing. She took over my house: she did the cooking, the cleaning, she played with Desmond, put him to sleep, gave him a bath... She ended up being "mom" to the both of us for a week. She made sure Billy had a lunch each morning before he went to work and left our freezer full to the brim with made-from-scratch soups. It was so nice to just surrender everything and focus on just writing. I mean, the writing part was hard and taking the exam was pretty difficult, but it was nice to focus on one thing and do it and not to have to worry about washing out Desmond's onesie because he shat up his back (which, by the way, happens nearly 100% of the time when he wears the Huggies Naturals diapers, but has hardly ever happened with his cloth diapers).

My mother bathing Desmond.  The tub is pretty cool...you just pour some water in it and the bottom is this rubbery plastic.  I like it because it's smaller and contained: I could let Desmond sit in it and not worry too much about him slipping in a bigger tub. 

I wish that I could live closer to my mom...it's hard to see all of the milestones that Des is achieving and knowing that my mother wouldn't see them in person.  Just today, she remarked that she missed Desmond's smell.  I swear, that woman loves him even when he smells like what's in his diaper.  She is so patient with him and would wake up with a smile when I would come into the room at 3 in the morning with a crying Desmond (turns out he had an ear infection...more on that in another post).  She even wore him around the house!


I'm so envious of my mom's bone structure.  She's beautiful!

  Thankfully, she gets along great with the future in-laws.  I mean, she's such an outgoing person and the most optimistic person I know.  People (like Des) are drawn to my mother naturally.  She's got such amazing energy.  I definitely have a lot to learn from her...

Here are both grandmas!  Chatting away at Squatters Brewing Company

What a lucky guy...


I love you, mama.  Thanks for coming out and helping me out.  We'll see you on the beach in June!

1 comment:

  1. I love your mama and am so happy to share a grandma hood with her and be one of the Abuelitas. She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete