Saturday, December 11, 2010

Christmas lights with friends

Last weekend, we met up with some of our good friends and their adorable little boys: Rachele and Jordan and their 1.5-year-old son, Beckham, and Heather and her almost 2-year-old son, Taven.  I really wanted to be able to go out on the town and enjoy some of the (free) events Salt Lake has to offer. 

We first went to Broadway Avenue (300 South) for Gallery Stroll.  Gallery Stroll happens on the first Friday of every month and is an event where art galleries and locally-owned shops stay open later and allow you to browse their galleries and collections for free.  They usually have some appetizers and drinks out (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic).  My two favorite stores on Broadway are The Green Ant and Frosty Darling.  The Green Ant specializes in modern furniture (think set design of Mad Men) and Frosty Darling specializes in unique rockabilly type of gifts. 



We really enjoyed doing an adult-ish activity that seemed to capture Des's attention.  Pretty soon, we're going to have to start doing all sorts of kiddie stuff and will hardly have any time for grownup stuff.  I am, however, kind of excited to start going to fun kid stuff with Desmond.  2 years ago, the idea of going to Disney with kids (any kids: my own, my nieces/nephews, strangers' kids) made me want to barf.  Now, I'm actually getting excited to do things like that with Des.  Part of it is seeing the excitement and wonder and smile that some things bring to Desmond's face.  I can't even explain how awesome it is.  It's like being in the very beginning of a relationship and starting to like someone and then you do something for them and it's the best thing in the world for them and your heart just melts when their face lights up and it makes you feel so good and important and ... Holy crap.  There I go.  I sound like such a sap.

OK, back to the story.  We then went to my favorite Thai Restaurant, Ekamai, and met up with everyone.  If you guys ever go, get the Mussaman curry and Yellow curry with the brown rice.  And the Thai iced tea along with the Sweet Sticky Rice with Mango (no effing wonder I don't lose any weight). 

Inside Ekamai: Taven, Heather, Billy, Desmond, me, Rachele, Jordan, and Beckham

After our delicious dinner, we took Trax over to Temple Square, where the LDS temple is, to check out the lights.  For those of you not in the know, Utah is home to the world's largest population of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons).  Salt Lake City was founded by Brigham Young and a retinue of Mormon pioneers that made the journey from Illinois in the mid-1800s.  The Salt Lake City Temple itself is off-limits to all non-Mormons and those Mormons without a Temple Recommend (something that is given to them by the bishops in their own churches).  However, everyone is allowed on the grounds surrounding the Temple, as long as they dress and behave appropriately, which means no kissing, groping, etc by ANYONE!

It was, astonishingly, my very first time to Temple Square, although I've driven past it time and time again.  It was quite beautiful.  It kind of reminded me of the winter parades in Disney World.  There were so many lights, wrapped on each branch of all the trees, and the pool with lights in it...really quite nice.

 

I'm glad that I finally went and that Desmond got to see a major part of Salt Lake (although he won't remember it) before we leave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment