Saturday, April 21, 2012

Road Trip #5 or 6

Desmond has more road trips under his belt than years of life.  A long time ago, I would've told you to your face that road trips sucked and that I'd much rather get to my destination sooner rather than later.  I guess the old mantra "life is in the journey, not the destination" didn't sit well with me.  However, having flown on more flights than I can remember with Desmond, I am happy to report that I have fallen in love with that old American standard: the road trip.

This love affair, as with any great love affair, happened quite by accident and when I was least expecting it.  We moved to St. Louis and were set up in our landlord's furnished apartment as our house was being readied for our arrival.  We took the opportunity to go visit some friends and family back East.  We thought we were in a prime position to travel everywhere, with St. Louis being in the middle of the country and all.  :)

Now, 10 hour trips are like a walk in the park.  A walk in the park with a toddler strapped to your back while carrying a diaper bag and walking two dogs, but a walk nonetheless.  10 hours is the max we think Des can get through (it probably takes us 12 hours with stops to eat and let Des run around).  He is awesome in the car.  I can't wait until he's a little older so that we could start playing road trip games.  Someone mentioned to me that they used to tie a string from oh shit bar to oh shit bar (what are they called?) with marks on it for places of interest or exits.  The kids would color and cut out car shapes and would then tie them to the string, moving them along the string as they hit another marker.  Genius, huh?  But I think Desmond is used to the long rides and sort of settles in to his seat once he realizes it's not just a short jaunt to the supermarket. 

For Spring Break this year, we decided to visit my brother John in New York.  It was so much fun to see Desmond connect in such a different way with family than he did almost a year ago. 

One of Des's many books...we get new ones out of the library so that he has some new material and pepper it with some of his faves from home.

A psychedelic glowing cup given to Des by his Aunt Christine on our stop in New Castle.

Magnetic etch a sketch wasn't a huge WIN as I'd hoped it'd be.  I don't think Desmond gets it yet.
My FSIL was so excited to push Des around in a stroller.  I was happy to walk unencumbered, hand-in-hand with Bill.



On my brother's rooftop in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn. 
In Carlisle, PA, visiting with Kseniya, Bill's sister.

My "little" brother John.
All dressed up for a nice dinner.
We stopped by some random park in Yellow Springs, Ohio and came upon this miniature wooden doll house.  Desmond was sitting on the dining table.

Releasing some energy.  Essential!
 We love traveling and although it is much easier traveling without him, it's so much fun when he tags along.  Although we were a bit hesitant to start going on road trips with Desmond (and we are doing more of it because flying with a toddler on your lap is harder and because when he turns 2, we will have to start paying for him), we have so enjoyed the journeys and backroads we have taken with Desmond and to get to show him parts of this country that he might have never seen if not for driving through it is so amazing. 

So, don't let a few hours in the car scare you.  Everyone will get used to it.  Remember, it's not the destination, it's the trip.  Or however it goes.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sad we couldn't meet up in New York! But can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete